5 28.10.15
3 23.10.15
2 23.10.15
1 22.10.15
7 22.10.15
2 22.10.15
1 21.10.15
First Page Previous Page Page 22 / 299 Next Page Last Page

How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?

#1 How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
05/12/2015 16:24

blatchcorn

I want to move into consulting, but I have had a very non-standard career path. I set up my own business in my last year of university, got hired by a client then made redundant. Now I am working in a marketing agency as a stop-gap.

Any advice is really welcome. I am applying for Accenture, Capco, PA Consulting, BCG. I have considered quitting my current job to avoid racking up more post-grad experience or even doing a masters.

Here is my text-only cv:

PERSONAL PROFILE

I am an Aston University graduate with work experience in automobiles, FinTech and digital marketing. I have consistently scored highly in academics and have a proven track record of delivering commercial results. I am interested in technology, analytical decision-making and making the world more efficient.

EDUCATION

Aston University, BSc Marketing (Hons) with a Placement Year

Oct 2010 – Jun 2014

Results: First Class honours. Many modules are accredited by the CIM.

Truro College, A-levels

Sept 2008 – Jun 2010

English - A*, Business Studies – A, History – B, ICT - B

WORK EXPERIENCE

PPC Analyst – XXXXXXXXXX

Sept 2015 – Present

XXXXXX is a world-class biddable media agency, using data-driven marketing to deliver exceptional results to clients.

- Management of the Ben Sherman account, producing a return on ad spend (ROAS) of ~700%.

- Campaign optimization, including split testing and statistical data analysis, of Exact Online (B2B SaaS). Gained expert-level Excel skills and became comfortable with large, complex data sets.

- Monitoring budgets and forecasting sale and costs based on first-hand statistics.

- Client management: understanding client problems, pitching solutions and implementation and reporting – won Ben Sherman as a client in my second week.

Analyst / Marketing Manager - Magnr

Nov 2014 – Sept 2015

Magnr is a FinTech startup that provides savings accounts for Bitcoin and a forex-style trading platform. My role as Marketing Manager entailed complete ownership of marketing strategy and implementation.

- Product management: launched the world’s first Bitcoin savings account, achieving $1 million assets under management.

- Branding: re-positioned from a trader-focused brand to a consumer lifestyle brand.

- Strategy: lead product development session on defining the firm’s third product vertical, which will be a private Blockchain for digitising assets and efficient trade settlement.

- PR: wrote articles for world-leading publications on the future applications of the Blockchain and Bitcoin regulation.

- User experience: re-designed registration process, improving conversion rates from 4% to 10%.

- Analysis: analysed customer retention rates to assess health of the company and to improve product-market fit.

Account Manager - Bitnewt

Jan 2014 – Nov 2014

The Bitcoin industry has a surplus of programmers and a skills gap in marketing. I saw this as an opportunity to launch a Bitcoin marketing agency, to cater for this under-served market.

- Achieved average revenues of aprox. £3000 per month, with profit margins ranging from 75%-25%.

- Managed a new startup's crowd-funding campaign, developed a website and created an investor prospectus. The startup raised $1 million directly from these efforts.

- Gained experience selling to both startups with minimal budgets and those with venture capital funding.

Summer Placement - Bentley Motors

Jun 2013 – Sep 2013

I was based within the IT department, working closely with internal marketing to improve internal communications.

- I coordinated the migration to a new intranet system. This involved collaborating with stakeholders across six business departments and managing intranet content to increase adoption rates of the new system by 15%.

- I taught myself HTML during my spare time and was then able to create new web pages to increase the functionality of the new intranet.

Placement Year: Aftersales Marketing Coordinator - Nissan Motors

Jun 2012 – Jun 2013

I had a very diverse role within the aftersales department at Nissan, with duties including coordinating marketing campaigns, sales and competitor analysis and launching new products and revenue streams.

- I liaised with Nissan’s agency, TBWA London, to create and coordinate four aftersales marketing campaigns, which were all delivered on time.

- I conducted complex analysis to identify optimal price levels for several ranges of replacement car parts. This analysis produced recurring savings of £100k per annum.

- I launched a new e-commerce store for Nissan merchandise, which was the most successful in Europe.

- I developed three new merchandise product ranges, where I was responsible for idea generation, pricing and promotion.

- I managed purchase orders for Nissan’s accessory suppliers, which totalled approximately £200k per month.

VOLUNTEERING

Peer Mentor - Aston University

Oct 2013 - Jun 2014

- I mentored a younger student within the university. I provided them with useful advice from my personal experience and supported them in making decisions with regards to university and career choices.

OTHER INFORMATION

- Full and clean driving licence.

- Interests: I am a competitive runner, hoping to become semi-professional. Love technology and efficiency. Avid music-listener.

- Technical skills:

-Microsoft Office (advanced), HTML/CSS (intermediate), SQL (intermediate), Javascript (basic) Google Analytics and Adwords certified, DoubleClick, Google and Bing Ads Editor, Facebook Power Editor.

- Published author in Venture Beat, CoinDesk and Packaging South East Asia.

- Previously ran my own marketing blog aimed at students: received over 250k visits and helped MBA students pass their exams.

Reply  Quote   

#2 RE: How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
06/12/2015 10:56

agentsmith to blatchcorn (#1)

C.V is too long to read so I'll tell you the facts I skimmed....

- 1st class degree, in relevant subject

- Decent A-Levels

- Varied experience since graduating last year

Pretty easy to get in to all except BCG probably. You'd need to be ok with accepting a grad role. This will be a good thing for you anyway as you'd get all the training and a start group network etc.

I'm a Senior Manager at Accenture if it helps to assess my credibility.

Reply  Quote   

#3 RE: How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
07/12/2015 12:49

Bushy Eyebrow Partner to agentsmith (#2)

Looks like a good CV, give it a shot!

I'd maybe cut down a bit on your "love for efficiency". We all love efficiency but it looks a bit weird to say it like that in a CV. Also, consultancy is a very inefficient process.

Reply  Quote   

#4 RE: How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
07/12/2015 14:00

marsday to blatchcorn (#1)

It reads too much 'I did this, I did that' which is both unnecessary and unappealing in a CV. We know its about you. I suggest you re-write to avoid introducing bullets with 'I..'

The personal profile - if you are going to have this, use it properly. The one you have says nothing and yet uses up precious space in the CV. Phrases like 'proven track record of delivering commercial results' are bland and meaningless, as is telling me you are interested in technology, analytical decision making and making the world more efficient (this last also rather naive and grandiose).

Education - dont split out university and results. It's pointless and means I have to spend another precious second looking for it, by which time I'm already suspicious why it hasn't been stated where it should be ie

BSc (Hons) Marketing - First Class

Includes Placement Year at (where?)

Many modules are accredited by the CIM.

Work Experience - are we talking about a paper round? No. Well then, it's just experience or career. And while we are on this subject, dates then employer then role please.

Volunteering

VOLUNTEERING - not sure why this is here at all. Tell me you helped a blind person reach a life goal and I'll be impressed, or you started a soup kitchen and won over local shop owners to provide food. Telling me you passed on your limited life experience to someone with even less just makes me think the rest of your CV is a bit exaggerated because this looks frankly exaggerated.

Put things in order - why are you telling me some administrative fluff before also telling me you won a new client in your second week?? ie "client management: understanding client problems, pitching solutions and implementation and reporting – won Ben Sherman as a client in my second week"

Accuracy - 'Strategy: lead product development session on defining the firm’s third product vertical, which will be a private Blockchain for digitising assets and efficient trade settlement' to quote. Using that word 'strategy' to people who work with it in a meaningful way to describe a 'session' will win you animosity. Quickly. Damp down your enthusiasm for over-cooking your language.

Reply  Quote   

#5 RE: How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
07/12/2015 16:12

Bushy Eyebrow Partner to marsday (#4)

That advice is golden... unfiltered advice straight out of the mouth of an experienced headhunter... it's worth taking on board every word...

Reply  Quote   

#6 RE: How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
07/12/2015 21:12

blatchcorn to marsday (#4)

Thank you so much everyone.

I have done a bit of networking and am going for a coffee with a McKinsey guy on Wednesday. Will let you know how things go with this and my applications

Reply  Quote   

#7 RE: How Hard Will it be for Me to get into Consulting with an Unusual Post-Grad Background?
08/12/2015 12:46

marsday to blatchcorn (#6)

good luck.

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page

ThreadID: 98651

Advertise
Your Jobs!