First post on here so please be gentle if I haven't followed the correct etiquette. I have found this forum whilst doing some research for an upcoming interview and what a great find this has been (and where has my afternoon gone?!). I am hoping I can tap into the resource here for career advice and generally bounce some ideas (as well as actively contribute of course!).
A little background on me. I graduated from University with a degree in Accounting & Financial Management and have worked in progressive roles in industry for the last 7 years whilst completing my CIMA qualification a few years ago. Due to circumstances I have managed to work in a number of industries and found myself working closely with senior management (Managing Director / Chief Operating Officer /Head of Operations etc) where I have been responsible for reviewing & analysing financial statements, forecasting & budgeting, profitability analysis, building financial models & investment appraisals, cost control, finance process improvement, to name a few things.
I have always wanted to pursue a career in the Big 4 in an area where my background could add value. I have kept an eye on Transaction Services as the fast-pace and M&A type work seems to be a fit with what I would like to do. However, being an outsider to the industry I am some what uneducated on what to expect and how things work so I have a number of broad questions.
Not sure what to expect here, but if you don't ask you don't know?! So here are a few of my questions.
1. Are there synergies between the type of work (skills) I have done (acquired) in Industry and to what is involved in TS?
2. I have an interview coming up for an Associate level (Grade D) TS role at a Big 4. Can anyone shed some light on what this may entail and how I can best prepare for this? What is the typical recruitment process for experienced hires at this grade?
3. Any tips on how I could blow the minds of those interviewing me (maybe not the best choice of words)? I want to be well read up on the area, any recommendations?
4. What would a typical day of an Associate at TS look like?
5. Is there anyone here who has made a similar move and if so, care to share your experience please?
Thanks in advance to anyone that has taken the time to read this!