6 19.04.01
1 28.03.01
3 28.03.01
First Page Previous Page Page 289 / 289

EasternEurope

#1 EasternEurope
10/07/2001 00:00

Anonymous

I am in the process of starting up a consultancy to support companies entry into Eastern Europe, from Initial Market Reviews through to Business Development. Collaborative possibilities, skill extensions and project enquiries welcome....

Reply  Quote   

#2 Re: EasternEurope
11/07/2001 00:00

Tony

Try seeking out partners on the site www.country-intelligence.com which focusses on doing business in the emerging economies

Reply  Quote   

#3 Re: EasternEurope
11/07/2001 00:00

Anonymous

Thanks Tony. Looks useful.

Reply  Quote   

#4 Re: EasternEurope
12/07/2001 00:00

S Yogendra

Hi. Happy to collaborate. I work with companies that are looking at new markets, developing new technology products and provide hands on consulting with a strategic view point.

Areas: Technology Strategy consulting (product road maps, choice of technology partners, implementation planning)

Experience: 7 years in IT Industry in Europe and Asia. Run own consulting business in England

Education: MBA, B Tech (Electronics)

Reply  Quote   

#5 Re: S Yogendra

anonymous

Please post your email address and we can discuss this further.

Regards.

Reply  Quote   

#6 Re: EasternEurope

Paul R Morton

Dear Anonymous,

Have a consultancy background working around the world, an MBA from University of Nottingham and MCIM having been in Marketing and promotion working with major blue-chip companies. Currently mentoring a variety of diverse clients.

Regards.

PAUL R MORTON

Reply  Quote   

#7 Re: EasternEurope

Marianna Beecham

I have a recruitment company which sources East European personnel for the western economy. We developed a very strong network of associates particularly in Romania (I am myself a native Romanian). We would be very interested in a possible collaboration. Get in touch, please.

Reply  Quote   

#8 Re: EasternEurope

Marianna Beecham

I have a recruitment company which sources East European personnel for the western economy. We developed a very strong network of associates particularly in Romania (I am myself a native Romanian). We would be very interested in a possible collaboration. Get in touch, please.

Reply  Quote   

#9 Re: EasternEurope
13/07/2001 00:00

Liviu Cernat

Dear Sir / Madam

I am an Eastern European living in Romania and having an US MBA degree. I would like very much to start a collaboration with a western consulting company willing to develop into the Romanian market. I am attaching my CV for a preliminary review.

Respectfully yours

Liviu Cernat

Str. Dimitrie Marinescu 1A, bl. C2, sc. B, et. I, ap.49, 73297, Bucharest, Romania

Home telephone: +401.250.84.66

Mobile telephone: +4093.011.853

E-mail: liviu_cernat@yahoo.com

Rãzvan Liviu Cernat

Personal Information

Date / Place of Birth: 11 October 1965, Bucharest

Citizenship: Romanian

Education

1999 - 2000 Joint program provided by Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien, Vienna, Austria and University of South Carolina, Columbia, SC, USA

Master of Business Administration (International MBA)

- Concentration in Finance;

- Electives in Administration of Financial Institutions, Options in Finance, Risk Management and Investment Management;

- Overall GPA 3.96 out of 4.

1992 - 1994 National School of Political and Administrative Studies Bucharest.

Postgraduate Diploma in Management

- Overall average of the two years of study: 9.65;

- Diploma examination passed with 10 and with the paper "Models of strategic management for industrial companies".

1983 - 1988 Technical University of Civil Engineering Bucharest, Faculty of Installation for Constructions.

Master of Science

- Overall average for the five years of study: 9.00;

- Graduation examination passed with 10;

- Diploma at the national students contest on Hydraulics, April 1986.

International exposure

1995 - 1999 International work exposure:

- Worked in audit teams managed by expatriates and also completed audit assignments managed directly from UK or Netherlands;

- Several professional improvement courses held by Coopers & Lybrand in Portugal, Belgium, Czech Republic, and Cyprus.

1999 - 2000 Attended IMBA programme in Vienna, Austria and Columbia, SC, USA.

Languages

English: reading, writing, speaking - very good;

French: reading - good, writing, speaking - basics;

Russian: reading, writing, speaking - basics.

Professional experience

2001 Mar. - 2001 May: Rompetrol S.A. - largest private Romanian oil group

Business Development Executive

Insights into oil refining business and financing schemes.

1995 Jan. - 2001 Mar.: PricewaterhouseCoopers (Coopers & Lybrand Romania SRL before 1 July 1998) - with a break between June 1999 and May 2000 for MBA studies.

Positions from Junior Auditor to Assistant Manager.

- Performed financial due diligence for the privatisation of Sidex S.A., and National Radiocommunications Company;

- Managed the financial audit of the $1 billion Road Rehabilitation Program of the National Administration of Roads;

- Designed a decision support system for AVAB - Romanian banking assets recovery agency, based on Monte Carlo simulations and pricing of real options;

- Exposure to and assignments performed in various industries such as: oil and gas, national road administration, steel manufacturing, as well as banking;

- Managed teams having up to 7 members.

1994 Aug. - 1995 Jan.: TIAB S.A. Bucharest (installations contractor)

Engineer

Design Dept. - technological designs for heating installations.

1992 Oct.- 1994 June: Faculty of Management, National School of Political and Administrative Studies Bucharest.

Student

1991 Dec. - 1992 Oct.: FAUR S.A. Bucharest (machine building company)

Engineer

Energy Technological Design Workshop - designs for repairing and upgrading factory's heat and water supply systems.

1991 Nov. - 1991 Dec.: Environmental Engineering Research Institute Bucharest

Assistant researcher

Technologies for de-pollution of waste air and water.

1990 Feb. - 1991 Nov.: FAUR S.A., Energy Dept.

Engineer

Field engineer within the heat and water supply systems of the factory.

1988 Sept. - 1990 Feb.: Oil Constructions and Mountings Enterprise Pitesti

Engineer

Oil pipelines, compressing plants, reservoirs, etc.

Memberships

Beta Gamma Sigma - The honour society for collegiate schools of business, University of South Carolina Chapter.

Achievements

Scholarship and graduate assistantship granted by Wirtschaftsuniversität Wien.

Reply  Quote   

#10 Re: EasternEurope

Frank Jackson

I have extensive experience in Poland and maintain an office in Krackow. I am a consultant assisting companies to get started and to find funding. I develop their business plan, idenitfy the required resources and assist in securng these. Alternativel, I assist European exporters find a market in Poland and make it happen.

How can we co-operate?

Frank Jackson

Reply  Quote   

#11 Re: EasternEurope

Darko Dunjic

Project> B2B portal for YU export and collaboration.

Good connection to YU top 100 and 5.000 yu companies.

Reply  Quote   

#12 Re: EasternEurope

Marton

Hi Colin,

I have several years of business development and sales experience in EE. For the past two years I have been living in Vienna and traveling throughout the region - establishing contancts and selling complex services. I also have some experience in setting up a company in EE. If this sounds interesting to you let's discuss.

Marton

Reply  Quote   

#13 Re: EasternEurope

Shane Hodgson

My company can assist with organizational performance consulting, sales and customer service training, leadership training and selection and development of staff. We can deliver in English, Russian and most Western European languages.

Reply  Quote   

#14 Re: EasternEurope

Peter Bond

You can see from my CV, www.peterbond.co.uk, that I've spend many years as a senior business consultant in Russia. As the western technology sector is facing tough times and Russia is resurgent, I'm considering facing East again.

Reply  Quote   

#15 Re: EasternEurope

Steve Durose

Colin,

I have been working in Poland as Finance Director for subsidiaries of UK listed groups since 1994. I have experience not only of Poland but also the Czech Republic, Hungary and Kaliningrad through either joint operations with group companies or in joint marketing efforts with customers. I have been involved in the plastic extrusion/construction and fruit processing sectors. I have been responsible for negotiation with government agencies including land permits, taxation and capital inflows, also with bankers, insurers, auditors and tax advisors. I have also successfully ensured UK GAAP compliant reporting from the underlying Polish records for management/statutory accounting, budgeting, forecasting and capital funding purposes. I have also successfully introduced Navision and Promix systems into employer companies and I am a regular user of Hyperion. I speak fluent Polish and have a home in Poland, 55km north of Krakow and 250km south of Warsaw, with office facilities which could be expanded.

I also have a home in the UK, the address is:

38 Holmes Roasd, Breaston, Derby, DE72 3BT

which also has office facilities, and is midway between Nottingham and Derby with easy access to the M1 and M42 motorways.

I have terminated my latest employment in Poland and, having taken some holiday, I am now looking to return to work. I understand that you are starting a consultancy with specific a Eastern European focus. It may be in our mutual interest to discuss the possibilities of working together.

I am at present in Poland and, in addition to my email address, I can be contacted on +48 41 3838250 (Home) or +48 600 336767 (Mobile). I am returning to the UK in order to look for a suitable career move on Sunday 22nd July and will be staying at my home address. In the UK I can be contacted on 07751 443454 (Mobile). I will have a BT line installed shortly after my return to the UK.

I look forward to discussing this further with you.

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#16 Re: EasternEurope

marialluch

Do you need people in your team?

Reply  Quote   

#17 Re: EasternEurope

My local/western network delivers analysis, marketing, restructuring and privatisation services in Romania, Russia and Ukraine.

If you would like to start a conversation please e-mail

brucemanderson@netscape.net.

Reply  Quote   

#18 Re: S Yogendra

Hi. I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Reply  Quote   

#19 Re: EasternEurope

My local/western network delivers analysis, marketing, restructuring and privatisation services in Romania, Russia and Ukraine.

If you would like to start a conversation please e-mail

brucemanderson@netscape.net.

Reply  Quote   

#20 Re: Eastern Europe

mark waldman

I am an American citizen and I have been living and working in Central and Eastern Europe (mostly Hungary) for three years. I would very much like to discuss the possibility of starting a consultancy to support entry into Eastern Europe.

You may contact me at mwaldman@flashmail.com

Reply  Quote   

#21 Re: EasternEurope

Steve Durose

Colin,

I have been working in Poland as Finance Director for subsidiaries of UK listed groups since 1994. I have experience not only of Poland but also the Czech Republic, Hungary and Kaliningrad through either joint operations with group companies or in joint marketing efforts with customers. I have been involved in the plastic extrusion/construction and fruit processing sectors. I have been responsible for negotiation with government agencies including land permits, taxation and capital inflows, also with bankers, insurers, auditors and tax advisors. I have also successfully ensured UK GAAP compliant reporting from the underlying Polish records for management/statutory accounting, budgeting, forecasting and capital funding purposes. I have also successfully introduced Navision and Promix systems into employer companies and I am a regular user of Hyperion. Prior to working in Poland I was Managing Director of the IT arm of a Nottingham Chartered Accountancy practice.

I speak fluent Polish and have a home in Poland, 55km north of Krakow and 250km south of Warsaw, with office facilities which could be expanded.

which also has office facilities, and is midway between Nottingham and Derby with easy access to the M1 and M42 motorways.

I have terminated my latest employment in Poland and, having taken some holiday, I am now looking to return to work. I understand that you are starting a consultancy with specific a Eastern European focus. It may be in our mutual interest to discuss the possibilities of working together.

I am at present in Poland and, in addition to my email address, I can be contacted on +48 41 3838250 (Home) or +48 600 336767 (Mobile). I am returning to the UK in order to look for a suitable career move on Sunday 22nd July and will be staying at my home address. In the UK I can be contacted on 07751 443454 (Mobile). I will have a BT line installed shortly after my return to the UK.

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#22 Re: EasternEurope

Steve Durose

Colin,

I have been working in Poland as Finance Director for subsidiaries of UK listed groups since 1994. I have experience not only of Poland but also the Czech Republic, Hungary and Kaliningrad through either joint operations with group companies or in joint marketing efforts with customers. I have been involved in the plastic extrusion/construction and fruit processing sectors. I have been responsible for negotiation with government agencies including land permits, taxation and capital inflows, also with bankers, insurers, auditors and tax advisors. I have also successfully ensured UK GAAP compliant reporting from the underlying Polish records for management/statutory accounting, budgeting, forecasting and capital funding purposes. I have also successfully introduced Navision and Promix systems into employer companies and I am a regular user of Hyperion. Prior to working in Poland I was Managing Director of the IT arm of a Nottingham Chartered Accountancy practice.

I speak fluent Polish and have a home in Poland, 55km north of Krakow and 250km south of Warsaw, with office facilities which could be expanded.

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#23 Re: EasternEurope

Steve Durose

Colin,

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#24 Re: EasternEurope

Steve Durose

Colin,

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#25 Re: EasternEurope

Sophia Lengyel

Hello!

I would be interested to hear more about your plan to start-up your services. I have worked with US companies for more than 10 years doing exactly the same, as an independent consultant, then as President of an International Chamber of Commerce, followed by employment by the US Government, living and working in Central Europe for extended periods of time. Presently, I am considering new options, with the possibility of returning to my own consultancy,to rely on my strong European connections and long experience in the field.

I am bi-lingual(Hungarian/English), conversant in French & German, and read Russian; born, raised and educated in Central Europe, also studied and graduated in the US(Harvard). Presently, I live in Boston.

I look forward to get to know you and perhaps develop a collaboration.

With regards,

Sophia

Reply  Quote   

#26 A message to Frank Jackson

Sophia Lengyel

Frank,I would like to learn more about your services; I have questions and suggestions. Please e-mail to me :lengyel@compuserve.com

Thanks,

Sophia

Reply  Quote   

#27 Re: EasternEurope

Robert Rogowski

Well, I may be the perfect skill set for you. Where I could send my credentials? (email address?) Where are you /will you be based? (I am currently in London).

Robert

Reply  Quote   

#28 Re: EasternEurope

Robert Rogowski

Oops, it does not seem to show my email: thinkpad_00@yahoo.com.

Pls send me yours, so I can dispatch my credentials and you can see whether a further discussion is needed.

Robert

Reply  Quote   

#29 Re: EasternEurope
14/07/2001 00:00

Steve Durose

Colin,

I have been working in Poland as Finance Director for subsidiaries of UK listed groups since 1994. I have experience not only of Poland but also the Czech Republic, Hungary and Kaliningrad through either joint operations with group companies or in joint marketing efforts with customers. I have been involved in the plastic extrusion/construction and fruit processing sectors. I have been responsible for negotiation with government agencies including land permits, taxation and capital inflows, also with bankers, insurers, auditors and tax advisors. I have also successfully ensured UK GAAP compliant reporting from the underlying Polish records for management/statutory accounting, budgeting, forecasting and capital funding purposes. I have also successfully introduced Navision and Promix systems into employer companies and I am a regular user of Hyperion. I speak fluent Polish and have a home in Poland, 55km north of Krakow and 250km south of Warsaw, with office facilities which could be expanded.

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#30 Re: EasternEurope

Steve Durose

Colin,

Regards

Steve Durose

Reply  Quote   

#31 Re: S Yogendra

Pls write on shefaly_y@yahoo.com

Regards

Reply  Quote   

#32 Re: EasternEurope

Rene Nowak

Dear Madom or Sir,

It looks like we have similar type of consultancy activities, we operate from Barcelona, Spain (although I am generally London). We have been doing projects with eastern europe.

Please contact us with more details regarding your activities and business plan, there might be some synergies, or else, possibility to co-operate.

Rene Nowak

partner

JLRM International Consulting Group

Reply  Quote   

#33 Re: Steve Durose

colin

Steve,

Please send me your email address, so we can get discussions started.

Regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

#34 Re: Rene

colin

Rene,

It could be worth discussing things further, but would prefer to do this by email, if we are to get into any detail.

Please contact me on the following email - marsonmar6n2@supanet.com

Regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

#35 Re: Paul Morton

anonymous

Paul,

What are your specific skills and experience in Eastern Europe, eg countries and market sectors?.

Regards

Reply  Quote   

#36 Re: EasternEurope

anonymous

Marianna,

Not looking specifically at Romania, but if you can send your contact details, if anything comes up I will contact you.

Regards

Reply  Quote   

#37 Re: marialluch

anonymous

Depends on the skills you offer?. The right skills = possible opportunities?.

Reply  Quote   

#38 Re: Marton

colin

Marton,

Have you specialised in any market sectors?

Which countries have you mainly worked in?

Regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

#39 Re: Robert Rogowski

colin m

Please send details to the enclosed.....

marsonmar6n2@supanet.com

regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

#40 Re: Shane

colin

Shane,

Not quite in my target area of possible consultancy collaboration,

but send me your contact details, so I can get more info.

Regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

#41 Re: EasternEurope
15/07/2001 00:00

Gary Bateman

I would like to know the various types of consulting skills that you may be looking for regarding consultancy work in Eastern Europe. I have a very strong project management background and business development orientation with years of practical experience and academic training. I am also "PMP" certified. I have lived and worked before in Germany, and maintain a second residence there. Do let me know if you would like for me to forward my resume and detailed CV to you. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Gary Bateman

Reply  Quote   

#42 Re: EasternEurope

Gary Bateman

Colin,

Regarding my previous message, here is my e-mail address if you should choose to contact me directly about progressive consultancy opportunities in Eastern Europe:

gmbateman@earthlink.net

Thanks.

Gary Bateman, MBA, PMP

Reply  Quote   

#43 Re: EasternEurope

Jeffrey Forbes, PM Forum CEE

Dear Colin,

Your original request...

"I am in the process of starting up a consultancy to support companies entry into Eastern Europe, from Initial Market Reviews through to Business Development. Collaborative possibilities, skill extensions and project enquiries welcome."

...was as broad as the answers you have received so far. So if my suggestions and ideas can be of any help to you, then take what you like and leave the rest.

Why am I responding to your request? Because I know quite a lot about what it is you are trying to do - at least as far as it was outlined in your request. I don’t know the specific details of your situation.

I myself, have been based in Prague since 1992, and prior to this I was in Germany for about seven years. But I was born and raised in the United States. So in addition to my mother tongue (English) I also now speak German and Czech.

I do on occasion, what you are interested in starting, though it is not my core business. I collaborate with a partner and good friend in Germany, for cross-border business development: US and German companies into the Czech Republic, and US or Czech companies into Germany.

My core business is marketing consultancy for professional and IT services. I teach consultants (and other professionals in Central Europe) how to develop their business and sell their services.

In addition, I also founded the Prague centre of the London-based organisation - the Professional Marketing Forum - and this month I am officially expanding it throughout the entire region of Central & Eastern Europe. So we are now known as PM Forum CEE (more at www.pmforum-cee.net).

That was just a brief introduction about myself to put my suggestions into context. Here then are some ideas you may want to consider:

To begin with, get focused. If you think it is a worn out idea, it is not. Chances are, if you are starting a consultancy, you will be small to begin with (just yourself? Maybe a local partner or assistant?). And so your instinct tells you: Cast your net wide. Don’t turn down any jobs you can do. Don’t limit yourself? Offer as much as you can, because you need the work, and you never know what will appeal...

These are good survival instincts. But it runs counter to how clients choose professional advice (i.e. consultants). Consulting (in fact all professional services) is about specialisation first and foremost.

Somebody hires you because "they believe" you possess knowledge that no one else has. “You” are the expert. There are other factors of course, but this is the main reason, why they would even consider your offer.

So yes, don’t limit yourself, if companies are begging you to work for them. But I am assuming you do not have this luxury, and that you must go out into the market and find, if not create work for yourself.

So what do you specialise in? I think you already qualify in three areas, which will all be essential, regarding what you want to do:

* Industry Expertise: You can’t be an expert in everything (who can?) so you have to start somewhere. Maybe you have a few years experience in a certain sector – say retail banking. Or maybe you have been a consultant for a number of years working in the FMCG sector. Certainly you must have some insider knowledge of a certain industry, otherwise, you would not want to get into consulting to begin with.

* Expertise in a CEE Country: Likewise, you can't be an expert with intimate and long-standing relationships, contacts and knowledge of the language in each country throughout Central & Eastern Europe. So most likely, you are already living and working in one, and have a good overview of the market and how it works. Maybe you even speak the local language. If so, this is the target market, that you should attempt to bring companies into. There is not much sense trying to get them into a country you don’t know intimately. Companies will seek out the other Colins (and there are enough of them) in those other countries for that. Besides, entering a market in CEE, is a high-risk long-term investment. Your job, initially, will be to minimise that risk. And you can only do that with local contacts and insider knowledge. Let’s face it, you can’t automate experience.

* Expertise in your Native Country: Say what you will, but people tend to trust people they understand, and it starts with language, mentality, culture, shared experiences, etc. If you are English, you will be able to establish rapport and credibility much faster with a British company, than you could say with a German company. There are exceptions of course, but this is a fact of business life, that you cannot deny. So acknowledge it and use it to your advantage.

So if you have an insider’s knowledge of a particular industry, and a particular country in CEE, then the most logical prospects for you are companies (from your home country) who are not yet doing business in the CEE country you currently reside. There may be other variables involved, which I am not aware of, but why make it difficult? This combination of factors lends instant credibility to your pitch. And if you don’t have credibility, you won’t even get your foot in the door.

Too many consultants (in fact many professionals) try to sell their services to just anyone. This is “product-thinking” not “professional-services” thinking. You don’t want to help just any company get into CEE, because only certain kinds of companies will truly appreciate what it is you have to offer. These are the kinds of companies who will pay their bills on time, want you to do repeat work for them, give you great word of mouth. Selling professional services is all about quality not quantity. You already know what kind of companies you want to work for. Have you approached them? Do you have the confidence?

If you think it is difficult to find those companies, then you should not even be in the consulting game. Just look in your own CEE market to see which players are there, and which are not. Then look to your home country market to see which mid-size companies are not in your CEE market yet. I say “mid-size” companies, because most of the big players are already established in most CEE markets. But many mid-size companies are not – yet. In fact, now will soon start the second phase of business development in CEE countries, based on M&A, because many local companies have either been privatised (the former state ones) or grown big enough (the local start-ups) to be taken seriously.

Make all the contacts you want through this discussion forum. Look at as many potential partners as you have time for. Just remember, a “potential” client might hire you based upon what you have done and what you can prove you know. But only an “existing” client will hire you for what you “can” or “might be able” to do – for them.

If you want to continue this conversation off-line, my details are below. Alternatively, if you are looking for some professional contacts in the Czech Republic, take a look at the Professional Marketing Forum Central & Eastern Europe (PM Forum CEE – www.pmforum-cee.net). We are just opening membership to other CEE countries this month, so it will take a while to extend our network throughout the entire region.

Your sincerely,

Jeffrey Forbes

Chairman, PM Forum CEE

Jana Zajice 40

170 00 Prague 7

Czech Republic

Tel: +420-(0)2-20 57 04 63

Fax: +420-(0)2-20 57 04 64

E-mail: jeffrey@pmforum-cee.net

URL: www. pmforum-cee.net

Reply  Quote   

#44 Re: EasternEurope

Dear Colin, <BR>

<BR>

Your original request... <BR>

<BR>

&quot;I am in the process of starting up a consultancy to support companies

entry into Eastern Europe, from Initial Market Reviews through to Business Development. Collaborative possibilities, skill extensions and project enquiries welcome.&quot; <BR>

<BR>

...was as broad as the answers you have received so far. So if my suggestions and ideas can be of any help to you, then take what you like and leave the rest. <BR>

<BR>

Why am I responding to your request? Because I know quite a lot about what it is you are trying to do - at least as far as it was outlined in your request. I don’t know the specific details of your situation. <BR>

<BR>

I myself, have been based in Prague since 1992, and prior to this I was in Germany for about seven years. But I was born and raised in the United States. So in addition to my mother tongue (English) I also now speak German and Czech. <BR>

<BR>

I do on occasion, what you are interested in starting, though it is not my core business. I collaborate with a partner and good friend in Germany, for cross-border business development: US and German companies into the Czech Republic, and US or Czech companies into Germany. <BR>

<BR>

My core business is marketing consultancy for professional and IT services. I teach consultants (and other professionals in Central Europe) how to develop their business and sell their services.

In addition, I also founded the Prague centre of the London-based organisation - the Professional Marketing Forum - and this month I am

officially expanding it throughout the entire region of Central & Eastern Europe. So we are now known as PM Forum CEE (more at www.pmforum-cee.net). <BR>

<BR>

That was just a brief introduction about myself to put my suggestions into context. Here then are some ideas you may want to consider: <BR>

<BR>

To begin with, get focused. If you think it is a worn out idea, it is not. Chances are, if you are starting a consultancy, you will be small to begin with (just yourself? Maybe a local partner or assistant?). And so your instinct tells you: Cast your net wide. Don’t turn down any jobs you can do. Don’t limit yourself? Offer as much as you can, because you need the work, and you never know what will appeal... <BR>

<BR>

These are good survival instincts. But it runs counter to how clients choose professional advice (i.e. consultants). Consulting (in fact all professional services) is about specialisation first and foremost. <BR>

<BR>

Somebody hires you because &quot;they believe&quot; you possess knowledge that no one else has. “You” are the expert. There are other factors of course, but this is the main reason, why they would even consider your offer. <BR>

<BR>

So yes, don’t limit yourself, if companies are begging you to work for them. But I am assuming you do not have this luxury, and that you must go out into the market and find, if not create work for yourself. <BR>

<BR>

So what do you specialise in? I think you already qualify in three areas, which will all be essential, regarding what you want to do: <BR>

<BR>

* Industry Expertise: You can’t be an expert in everything (who can?) so you have to start somewhere. Maybe you have a few years experience in a certain sector – say retail banking. Or maybe you have been a consultant for a number of years working in the FMCG sector. Certainly you must have some insider knowledge of a certain industry, otherwise, you would not want to get into consulting to begin with. <BR>

<BR>

* Expertise in a CEE Country: Likewise, you can't be an expert with intimate and long-standing relationships, contacts and knowledge of the language in each country throughout Central & Eastern Europe. So most likely, you are already living and working in one, and have a good overview of the market and how it works. Maybe you even speak the local language. If so, this is the target market, that you should attempt to bring companies into. There is not much sense trying to get them into a country you don’t know intimately. Companies will seek out the other Colins (and there are enough of them) in those other countries for that. Besides, entering a market in CEE, is a high-risk long-term investment. Your job, initially, will be to minimise that risk. And you can only do that with local contacts and insider knowledge. Let’s face it, you can’t automate experience. <BR>

<BR>

* Expertise in your Native Country: Say what you will, but people tend to trust people they understand, and it starts with language, mentality, culture, shared experiences, etc. If you are English, you will be able to establish rapport and credibility much faster with a British company, than you could say with a German company. There are exceptions of course, but this is a fact of business life, that you cannot deny. So acknowledge it and use it to your advantage. <BR>

<BR>

So if you have an insider’s knowledge of a particular industry, and a particular country in CEE, then the most logical prospects for you are companies (from your home country) who are not yet doing business in the CEE country you currently reside. There may be other variables involved, which I am not aware of, but why make it difficult? This combination of factors lends instant credibility to your pitch. And if you don’t have credibility, you won’t even get your foot in the door. <BR>

<BR>

Too many consultants (in fact many professionals) try to sell their services to just anyone. This is “product-thinking” not “professional-services” thinking. You don’t want to help just any company get into CEE, because only certain kinds of companies will truly appreciate what it is you have to offer. These are the kinds of companies who will pay their bills on time, want you to do repeat work for them, give you great word of mouth. Selling professional services is all about quality not quantity. You already know what kind of companies you want to work for. Have you approached them? Do you have the confidence? <BR>

<BR>

If you think it is difficult to find those companies, then you should not even be in the consulting game. Just look in your own CEE market to see which players are there, and which are not. Then look to your home country market to see which mid-size companies are not in your CEE market yet. I say “mid-size” companies, because most of the big players are already established in most CEE markets. But many mid-size companies are not – yet. In fact, now will soon start the second phase of business development in CEE countries, based on M&A, because many local companies have either been privatised (the former state ones) or grown big enough (the local start-ups) to be taken seriously. <BR>

<BR>

Make all the contacts you want through this discussion forum. Look at as many potential partners as you have time for. Just remember, a “potential” client might hire you based upon what you have done and what you can prove you know. But only an “existing” client will hire you for what you “can” or “might be able” to do – for them. <BR>

<BR>

If you want to continue this conversation off-line, my details are below. Alternatively, if you are looking for some professional contacts in the Czech Republic, take a look at the Professional Marketing Forum Central & Eastern Europe (PM Forum CEE – www.pmforum-cee.net). We are just opening membership to other CEE countries this month, so it will take a while to extend our network throughout the entire region. <BR>

<BR>

Your sincerely, <BR>

<BR>

<BR>

Jeffrey Forbes<BR>

Chairman, PM Forum CEE<BR>

<BR>

Jana Zajice 40<BR>

170 00 Prague 7<BR>

Czech Republic<BR>

<BR>

Tel: +420-(0)2-20 57 04 63<BR>

<BR>

Fax: +420-(0)2-20 57 04 64<BR>

<BR>

E-mail: jeffrey@pmforum-cee.net<BR>

<BR>

URL: www. pmforum-cee.net<BR>

<BR>

Reply  Quote   

#45 Re: EasternEurope

Dear Colin, <BR>

<BR>

Your original request... <BR>

<BR>

&quot;I am in the process of starting up a consultancy to support companies

entry into Eastern Europe, from Initial Market Reviews through to Business Development. Collaborative possibilities, skill extensions and project enquiries welcome.&quot; <BR>

<BR>

...was as broad as the answers you have received so far. So if my suggestions and ideas can be of any help to you, then take what you like and leave the rest. <BR>

<BR>

Why am I responding to your request? Because I know quite a lot about what it is you are trying to do - at least as far as it was outlined in your request. I don’t know the specific details of your situation. <BR>

<BR>

I myself, have been based in Prague since 1992, and prior to this I was in Germany for about seven years. But I was born and raised in the United States. So in addition to my mother tongue (English) I also now speak German and Czech. <BR>

<BR>

I do on occasion, what you are interested in starting, though it is not my core business. I collaborate with a partner and good friend in Germany, for cross-border business development: US and German companies into the Czech Republic, and US or Czech companies into Germany. <BR>

<BR>

In addition, I also founded the Prague centre of the London-based organisation - the Professional Marketing Forum - and this month I am

officially expanding it throughout the entire region of Central & Eastern Europe. So we are now known as PM Forum CEE (more at www.pmforum-cee.net). <BR>

<BR>

That was just a brief introduction about myself to put my suggestions into context. Here then are some ideas you may want to consider: <BR>

<BR>

To begin with, get focused. If you think it is a worn out idea, it is not. Chances are, if you are starting a consultancy, you will be small to begin with (just yourself? Maybe a local partner or assistant?). And so your instinct tells you: Cast your net wide. Don’t turn down any jobs you can do. Don’t limit yourself? Offer as much as you can, because you need the work, and you never know what will appeal... <BR>

<BR>

These are good survival instincts. But it runs counter to how clients choose professional advice (i.e. consultants). Consulting (in fact all professional services) is about specialisation first and foremost. <BR>

<BR>

Somebody hires you because &quot;they believe&quot; you possess knowledge that no one else has. “You” are the expert. There are other factors of course, but this is the main reason, why they would even consider your offer. <BR>

<BR>

So yes, don’t limit yourself, if companies are begging you to work for them. But I am assuming you do not have this luxury, and that you must go out into the market and find, if not create work for yourself. <BR>

<BR>

So what do you specialise in? I think you already qualify in three areas, which will all be essential, regarding what you want to do: <BR>

<BR>

* Industry Expertise: You can’t be an expert in everything (who can?) so you have to start somewhere. Maybe you have a few years experience in a certain sector – say retail banking. Or maybe you have been a consultant for a number of years working in the FMCG sector. Certainly you must have some insider knowledge of a certain industry, otherwise, you would not want to get into consulting to begin with. <BR>

<BR>

* Expertise in a CEE Country: Likewise, you can't be an expert with intimate and long-standing relationships, contacts and knowledge of the language in each country throughout Central & Eastern Europe. So most likely, you are already living and working in one, and have a good overview of the market and how it works. Maybe you even speak the local language. If so, this is the target market, that you should attempt to bring companies into. There is not much sense trying to get them into a country you don’t know intimately. Companies will seek out the other Colins (and there are enough of them) in those other countries for that. Besides, entering a market in CEE, is a high-risk long-term investment. Your job, initially, will be to minimise that risk. And you can only do that with local contacts and insider knowledge. Let’s face it, you can’t automate experience. <BR>

<BR>

* Expertise in your Native Country: Say what you will, but people tend to trust people they understand, and it starts with language, mentality, culture, shared experiences, etc. If you are English, you will be able to establish rapport and credibility much faster with a British company, than you could say with a German company. There are exceptions of course, but this is a fact of business life, that you cannot deny. So acknowledge it and use it to your advantage. <BR>

<BR>

So if you have an insider’s knowledge of a particular industry, and a particular country in CEE, then the most logical prospects for you are companies (from your home country) who are not yet doing business in the CEE country you currently reside. There may be other variables involved, which I am not aware of, but why make it difficult? This combination of factors lends instant credibility to your pitch. And if you don’t have credibility, you won’t even get your foot in the door. <BR>

<BR>

Too many consultants (in fact many professionals) try to sell their services to just anyone. This is “product-thinking” not “professional-services” thinking. You don’t want to help just any company get into CEE, because only certain kinds of companies will truly appreciate what it is you have to offer. These are the kinds of companies who will pay their bills on time, want you to do repeat work for them, give you great word of mouth. Selling professional services is all about quality not quantity. You already know what kind of companies you want to work for. Have you approached them? Do you have the confidence? <BR>

<BR>

If you think it is difficult to find those companies, then you should not even be in the consulting game. Just look in your own CEE market to see which players are there, and which are not. Then look to your home country market to see which mid-size companies are not in your CEE market yet. I say “mid-size” companies, because most of the big players are already established in most CEE markets. But many mid-size companies are not – yet. In fact, now will soon start the second phase of business development in CEE countries, based on M&A, because many local companies have either been privatised (the former state ones) or grown big enough (the local start-ups) to be taken seriously. <BR>

<BR>

Make all the contacts you want through this discussion forum. Look at as many potential partners as you have time for. Just remember, a “potential” client might hire you based upon what you have done and what you can prove you know. But only an “existing” client will hire you for what you “can” or “might be able” to do – for them. <BR>

<BR>

If you want to continue this conversation off-line, my details are below. Alternatively, if you are looking for some professional contacts in the Czech Republic, take a look at the Professional Marketing Forum Central & Eastern Europe (PM Forum CEE – www.pmforum-cee.net). We are just opening membership to other CEE countries this month, so it will take a while to extend our network throughout the entire region. <BR>

<BR>

Your sincerely, <BR>

<BR>

<BR>

Jeffrey Forbes<BR>

<BR>

Jana Zajice 40<BR>

170 00 Prague 7<BR>

Czech Republic<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

URL: www. pmforum-cee.net<BR>

<BR>

Reply  Quote   

#46 Re: Marton
16/07/2001 00:00

Marton

Hi Colin,

My main focus is Russia, Hungary and Poland but I also worked in Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Croatia, Slovenia..

No real industry specialization.

Marton

Reply  Quote   

#47 Re: Marton

Marton

Hi Colin,

My main focus is Russia, Hungary and Poland but I also worked in Serbia, Slovakia, Ukraine, Croatia, Slovenia..

No real industry specialization.

Marton

Reply  Quote   

#48 Re: EasternEurope

Charles Klausen

Reply  Quote   

#49 Re: EasternEurope
18/07/2001 00:00

John Fraser

I have experience of the Turkish market and also speak the language, although at a basic business level. I have relevant contacts in Turkey with some of the large holding companies and would be interested in finding out more about your venture.

I am a Masters graduate (Strathclyde Business School) with a business scholarship from Northwestern University, Illinois.

Regards,

John Fraser

Reply  Quote   

#50 Re: John Fraser
18/07/2001 00:00

colin

John,

Please let me have your contact details on colin@lisergy.com and I will send you further info.

Regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

#51 Re: EasternEurope
20/07/2001 00:00

Marianna Beecham

Spot on, Jeffrey !

Although, as an ex-consultant with two of the big 5s, I would also say that you can't offer everything even in your chosen industry. Not unless you have substantial resources behind you. Therefore the focus, I would suggest, should be industry AND service offer.

I'm Romanian by birth, although I lived in the UK for 16 years now. The company I just started operating in the UK, Ireland and Romania (countries I believe both my partner and I know quite well) is specialising, for the time being, in IT search & selection services for the Irish market. It is a start. We would like to take our services the other way too, to the Romanian market. The way we see it is that those services should be core competencies we have ourselves: organisation and process improvement in the supply chain, with a strong focus on technology.

This was the main reason for which I replied to the original message posted here. However, I was disappointed to see that I had no reply. Maybe now, having mentioned the fact that not only we have a strong network of Romanian associates, but also I have a consultancy background in two of the big 5s, an MBA and an MSc, somebody out there will be interested to see what we can do.

Kind regards,

Marianna Beecham

IRoR Managing Director

tel. +44 7778 702 678

www.irishromanianrecruitment.co.uk

Reply  Quote   

#52 Re: EasternEurope
22/07/2001 00:00

Dear Marianna,<BR>

<BR>

Thank you for the accolades. :-)<BR>

<BR>

I understand the Irish market is very hot these days for IT talent from Central Europe, and it seems there are quite a number of companies sourcing talent from the Czech Republic.<BR>

<BR>

You might find some potential partners to work with by going to the companies section in the Prague Business Journal. This is available free online at www.pbj.cz. They have lists of major companies in various sectors - recruitment agencies being one of them. But watch out, there are a lot of cowboys operating in this area of professional services in this market, mainly because the cost of entry is so low.<BR>

<BR>

You might even be able to see some of your local competition at work at two big local job boards (www.jobs.cz and www.hotjobs.cz). I think jobs.cz even has a section where local programmers post their CV looking for work abroad. Some are even in English.<BR>

<BR>

Wishing you much success!<BR>

<BR>

Jeffrey Forbes<BR>

<BR>

Jana Zajice 40<BR>

170 00 Prague 7<BR>

Czech Republic<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

URL: www.pmforum-cee.net<BR>

Reply  Quote   

#53 Re: EasternEurope
25/07/2001 00:00

Brian Nielsen

I have extensive experience in Eastern Europe/ Central Asia and good Russian. With an MBA my career spans consultancy to Principal level, privatisation and General Management.

Currently looking for opportunities of a start up nature and would like to introduce myself but can't seem to attach my CV to this. If you email direct, I'll get back to you.

Regards

Brian Nielsen

Reply  Quote   

#54 Re: EasternEurope

Brian Nielsen

I have extensive experience in Eastern Europe/ Central Asia and good Russian. With an MBA my career spans consultancy to Principal level, privatisation and General Management.

Currently looking for opportunities of a start up nature and would like to introduce myself but can't seem to attach my CV to this. If you email direct, I'll get back to you.

Regards

Brian Nielsen

Reply  Quote   

#55 Re: EasternEurope

colin

Brian,

Please email me at colin@lisergy.com

Best Regards,

Colin

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page