I want to move into consulting, but I have had a very non-standard career path. I set up my own business in my last year of university, got hired by a client then made redundant. Now I am working in a marketing agency as a stop-gap.
Any advice is really welcome. I am applying for Accenture, Capco, PA Consulting, BCG. I have considered quitting my current job to avoid racking up more post-grad experience or even doing a masters.
Here is my text-only cv:
I am an Aston University graduate with work experience in automobiles, FinTech and digital marketing. I have consistently scored highly in academics and have a proven track record of delivering commercial results. I am interested in technology, analytical decision-making and making the world more efficient.
Aston University, BSc Marketing (Hons) with a Placement Year
Oct 2010 – Jun 2014
Results: First Class honours. Many modules are accredited by the CIM.
Truro College, A-levels
Sept 2008 – Jun 2010
English - A*, Business Studies – A, History – B, ICT - B
PPC Analyst – XXXXXXXXXX
Sept 2015 – Present
XXXXXX is a world-class biddable media agency, using data-driven marketing to deliver exceptional results to clients.
- Management of the Ben Sherman account, producing a return on ad spend (ROAS) of ~700%.
- Campaign optimization, including split testing and statistical data analysis, of Exact Online (B2B SaaS). Gained expert-level Excel skills and became comfortable with large, complex data sets.
- Monitoring budgets and forecasting sale and costs based on first-hand statistics.
- Client management: understanding client problems, pitching solutions and implementation and reporting – won Ben Sherman as a client in my second week.
Analyst / Marketing Manager - Magnr
Nov 2014 – Sept 2015
Magnr is a FinTech startup that provides savings accounts for Bitcoin and a forex-style trading platform. My role as Marketing Manager entailed complete ownership of marketing strategy and implementation.
- Product management: launched the world’s first Bitcoin savings account, achieving $1 million assets under management.
- Branding: re-positioned from a trader-focused brand to a consumer lifestyle brand.
- Strategy: lead product development session on defining the firm’s third product vertical, which will be a private Blockchain for digitising assets and efficient trade settlement.
- PR: wrote articles for world-leading publications on the future applications of the Blockchain and Bitcoin regulation.
- User experience: re-designed registration process, improving conversion rates from 4% to 10%.
- Analysis: analysed customer retention rates to assess health of the company and to improve product-market fit.
Account Manager - Bitnewt
Jan 2014 – Nov 2014
The Bitcoin industry has a surplus of programmers and a skills gap in marketing. I saw this as an opportunity to launch a Bitcoin marketing agency, to cater for this under-served market.
- Achieved average revenues of aprox. £3000 per month, with profit margins ranging from 75%-25%.
- Managed a new startup's crowd-funding campaign, developed a website and created an investor prospectus. The startup raised $1 million directly from these efforts.
- Gained experience selling to both startups with minimal budgets and those with venture capital funding.
Summer Placement - Bentley Motors
Jun 2013 – Sep 2013
I was based within the IT department, working closely with internal marketing to improve internal communications.
- I coordinated the migration to a new intranet system. This involved collaborating with stakeholders across six business departments and managing intranet content to increase adoption rates of the new system by 15%.
- I taught myself HTML during my spare time and was then able to create new web pages to increase the functionality of the new intranet.
Placement Year: Aftersales Marketing Coordinator - Nissan Motors
Jun 2012 – Jun 2013
I had a very diverse role within the aftersales department at Nissan, with duties including coordinating marketing campaigns, sales and competitor analysis and launching new products and revenue streams.
- I liaised with Nissan’s agency, TBWA London, to create and coordinate four aftersales marketing campaigns, which were all delivered on time.
- I conducted complex analysis to identify optimal price levels for several ranges of replacement car parts. This analysis produced recurring savings of £100k per annum.
- I launched a new e-commerce store for Nissan merchandise, which was the most successful in Europe.
- I developed three new merchandise product ranges, where I was responsible for idea generation, pricing and promotion.
- I managed purchase orders for Nissan’s accessory suppliers, which totalled approximately £200k per month.
Peer Mentor - Aston University
Oct 2013 - Jun 2014
- I mentored a younger student within the university. I provided them with useful advice from my personal experience and supported them in making decisions with regards to university and career choices.
- Full and clean driving licence.
- Interests: I am a competitive runner, hoping to become semi-professional. Love technology and efficiency. Avid music-listener.
- Technical skills:
- Published author in Venture Beat, CoinDesk and Packaging South East Asia.
- Previously ran my own marketing blog aimed at students: received over 250k visits and helped MBA students pass their exams.