Well... as an IT Director, you have the opportunity to define what the role of IT should be. Look beyond just the support and business enabling functions of IT. Consider technology as a proactive member in your company, working with the business as a partner.
Here are a few questions on which you can ponder :
- How do I generate creativity and innovation throughout my company ? (using both the business and IT expertise)
- How do I measure performance ? How do I identify and mitigate operational risk ?
- How do I develop and retain talent ?
- How do I manage my portfolio of strategic alliances ?
- How do I market the company's technology leadership ?
- What is the role of IT and how does it interact with the business ?
There are so many interesting aspects of IT when you get to the top of the hierarchy.
Why join a management consultancy when you can put your ideas into action for the company you work for ?