I'm entering the consulting world and wanted to get some insight from the brains trust here...
I've received an offer from Accenture to join their Consulting workforce (Technology) as a C1 starting in 2015. Additionally, I have received an offer from an Industry vendor for a similar role. I'm currently weighing up the options and a big component of both roles is the requirement to travel...
I was wondering if anyone could share any insights into the travel expectations. I apologise if this is something that has already been discussed, however the last thread I could find on this particular topic was from 2006.
1) What are people's experiences with economy vs. business class travel? Call me shallow, but if I'm expected to be sharp for a 9:30am meeting after flying for 8 hours &/or expected to complete work on the plane, I'm not terribly impressed if this is expected of me in economy.
2) Is there an expectation that I will use weekend/personal time to travel? E.g. Is there an expectation that I would be OK with flying out on Sunday evening 9pm as opposed to Monday morning?
3) What standard of accommodation is usually offered to ACN consultants whilst travelling?
4) ACN's website mentions 'work-life balance' perks such as "Flybacks" (fly home for the weekend or have someone flown to you). Is this a benefit that's generally/easily accessible?
5) Finally, what sort of allowances are paid when on business travel? My former employer offered a daily allowance which varied depending on which country you visited... Starting at around £50 / day claimable without receipts (i.e. regardless of whether the entire allowance was spent).
Thank you in advance :)