I have been following this forum recently and I have some career advice need.
I think this post will get some angry answers but here it is :
I landed a consulting job offer at a big4 (consulting) in Financial Services, and I am actually working in retail banking. Consulting has always (more or less) interested me, due to the variety of missions proposed and also to the CV enhancement a gig at a big4 could provide. In addition, since I would like one day to be an entrepreneur, I have the impression that a career in consulting could give me a new way of thinking and adressing problems.
However, I have some major holes in my skillset I would say :
- I am quite social and outgoing, but networking and kissing asses is not in my personality.
- I am not really interested by the stress coming with a consulting role (long hours would not bother me, but only when working for me, not in a employee role, I would not respond well to partners bothering me)
- I have had a shhitty analyst role in a bank lately, and don't think I have the skillset of the senior consulting role I am being offered
What interests me more in working for big4 consulting is the excitation this role could provide me. To be honest, as I said, I don't have the skillset, but I think I am quite smart, the type of person that could get by university quite easily (and lazily), and when pushed, I can really produce. And I would also like to quit the boredom that is retail banking (life balance is great though, working 37 quiet hours a week for a decent pay (better than what I am being offered at the big4 minus the car) is great)) ...
What do you think about my situation, I think I have 2 possibilities :
- 1) try the big4 consulting, see what happens, I could maybe be good at it
- 2) f°°° this shiit and enjoy the work life balance and free time I have now to try to think about a business (despite the fact my brain is working at a vegetative speed because of this s°°°)
:D I think this is pretty much it . :D