5 30.03.11
2 30.03.11
3 30.03.11
4 29.03.11
2 29.03.11
2 29.03.11
7 29.03.11
First Page Previous Page Page 78 / 296 Next Page Last Page

Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.

#1 Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 14:36

Boat

I won't be posting on here for much longer - as mentioned previously, I've decided to go down the IB route.

Before I leave, I just want to say that I think too much is being made of long hours and working too hard at the expense of lifestyle/health etc.

I'm not experienced in the workplace, but I would guess that the people who are placing an emphasis on this aspect are those who don't really know "how to win friends and influence people". The reality is you need to have a strategy with people, too. If you have a shitty task to do that will defer your exit on any particular date from 18:00 to 20:00 - get someone else to do it without showing them what you are up to. Tell the partner or SM that you think his football team should have won even though you think they were terrible etc.

I recommend that graduates don't take SOME of the posts on here seriously as so called seasoned professionals may have serious defects in their people skills which is preventing them from rising through the ranks, which in turn makes them look for an excuse such as "It's only b/c he does more hours than me" or "It's only b/c he doesn't take lunch breaks".

Sun Tzu didn't say "Do lots of hours, give up your lifestyle to advance" he said "If you know others and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles"

Adios Amigos.

Reply  Quote   

#2 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 14:44

rd to Boat (#1)

good riddance to you Boat, you won't be missed.

Seeing as you are a delicate little flower, I can't imagine you lasting too long in IB

Reply  Quote   

#3 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 15:11

Can hardly stop laughing... to Boat (#1)

Boat,

No one quotes Sun Tzu any more – to be honest they rarely ever did, other than Charlie Sheen in “Wall Street”. If you choose to do so as you move into the world of IB here are some of the responses that I expect you may receive from some of those rough trader types:

• ..Yes, and he also said “There are five ways of attacking with fire. The first is to burn soldiers in their camp” – how the f**k is that going to help price this deal?

• ..Yes, and he also said “Invincibility lies in the defence; the possibility of victory in the attack.” Was he quoting Alan Hansen?

And my personal favourite response to suck-up, know nothing, I-once-read-a-small-book-of-quotes-graduates….

•“… Yes and he also said, “Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness” – why don’t you pi$$ off and try that?

Good luck telling the Head of Fixed Incomes that you think its a shame that Millwall didn't score at the weekend and since your such good pals now, does he mind if you don't have his new bond curve ready for him?

Reply  Quote   

#4 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 15:37

Dan to Boat (#1)

Boat,

After responding to your other thread I thought that perhaps I had been overly harsh. Maybe I judged you a little too quickly.

Turns out my first impression was correct. You come across as a little weasel, and I have no doubt whatsoever that this is what you are. I know for a fact that I would despise you in real life.

IB has many different permutations, and to be fair in some you won't always work beyond 6pm, especially in recessionary times. However, make no mistake about it, the vast majority of roles require that you will be working way beyond 6pm. In fact, unless you're working to the markets it's almost a given that you'll be working beyond 6pm in pretty much every job worth its salt going.

Please spare us your 'strategies for people' - I'd love to see the look on a director's face when the scenario 'Can't stop laughing' posted comes true. Also, don't be naive in thinking that your peers won't spot what you're up to. If you sound like a weasel on an online forum, there's no chance you can hide it in real life.

You won't go far unless you're an outright genius - you have no concept of what the world is going to be like, and no idea what you're on about. It's a shame you're not coming to consulting, I'd love you to be one of my team, it'd make the kids I actually like look brilliant.

But hey, best of luck, you're going to need it!

Reply  Quote   

#5 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 15:50

Boat to Dan (#4)

Alleged 'Top Consultant': "No one quotes Sun Tzu any more – to be honest they rarely ever did"

Wikipedia: "It is accepted as a masterpiece on strategy and frequently cited and referred to by generals and theorists since its publication, translation and distribution the world over"

Reply  Quote   

#6 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 16:07

Can hardly stop laughing to Boat (#5)

Boat,

“It is accepted as a masterpiece on strategy and frequently cited and referred to by generals and theorists since its publication, translation and distribution the world over"”

Once you’ve come back from hospital having had the bullet removed from your foot, could you let me know are you a general or a theorist?

That’s why no one in the real world quotes it, you duck-brain! Its for generals and theorists.

Thanks god you come form a wealthy family.

Hang on...rich? superiority complex? no work experience? Are you minor royalty by any chance?

Reply  Quote   

#7 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 16:11

Boat to Can hardly stop laughing (#6)

"The book is not only popular among military theorists, but it has also become increasingly popular among political leaders and those in business management. Despite its title, The Art of War addresses strategy in a broad fashion, touching upon public administration and planning. The text outlines theories of battle but also advocates diplomacy and cultivating relationships with other nations as essential to the health of a state"

Taxi....I'll get your coat.

Reply  Quote   

#8 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 16:37

Stop I can't laugh much more - its hurts to Boat (#7)

"also advocates diplomacy and cultivating relationships with other nations as essential to the health of a state"

You ARE minor royalty!! Are you looking forward to the wedding?

Reply  Quote   

#9 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 16:40

Head of Yen Desk to Boat (#7)

Yes I know I'm inspirational and yes I know your salsa class start in 10 minutes. Now *** off out there and get me a vindaloo like I asked

Reply  Quote   

#10 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 16:48

Boat (not really to be honest) to Head of Yen Desk (#9)

But Head of Yen Desk, I have human rights enshrined in the EU constitution and Working Practices Directive that will prevent you from taking this attitude and protect me from long term career damage.

Besides, as Sun Tzu once said, "it is a foolish prince that wastes the efforts of his best spear thrower on the catering duties of women".

Reply  Quote   

#11 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 17:09

Head of Yen Desk to Boat (not really to be honest) (#10)

Young man, I stand corrected. Although I have built this business to deliver 100m profit a year, I recognise that you have a lot to teach me. It is never to late for an old dog to learn new tricks from a young pup. I'll get your colleagues to cover for you - off you pop, you young rascal and salsa the night away.

Reply  Quote   

#12 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 17:12

Consultant to Head of Yen Desk (#11)

Seems well suited to IB to me

Reply  Quote   

#13 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 17:22

Boat (the real one... no really..oh ok maybe not) to Head of Yen Desk (#11)

Thank you Head of Yen Desk, by cleverly choosing to refer to an oriental sage I have hooked in to your own understanding of oriental ways of doing business. You now see me as a kindred spirit and are already cutting me considerable slack.

Tomorrow, refreshed by my salsa exertion, some home cooked food and twelve hours of sleep in my own bed, I shall counteract any negative impact that your favouritism might have on my standing with my colleagues by providing them with free career advice based on the Dead Sea Scrolls and the film, “Scooby Doo and the Pharoahs”.

Go girl, go boat!!

Reply  Quote   

#14 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 17:44

Dany to Boat (the real one... no really..oh ok maybe not) (#13)

Is this guy for real????

First he come on here to ask for our advice on balance between working hours/ healthy diet/ sleeping routines and what not else and now he is preaching us about people strategies and quoting some Chinese generals and stating that he sleeps 12 hours a day. WOW, not only that you won't last in the IB, but you won't last anywhere buddy. And with that kind of attitude, I see you packing up those burgers at Mcdonalds sooner then you think.

Reply  Quote   

#15 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 17:51

Consultant to Head of Yen Desk (#11)

Seems well suited to IB to me

Reply  Quote   

#16 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
18/11/2010 21:38

Skeebo to Consultant (#15)

I must admit I do like Sun Tzus work - but best to act upon it not quote it.

However, better read is 'il Principe' by Niccolò Machiavelli. Much better reading for either consultant or IB or 16thC italian royalty

Reply  Quote   

#17 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
19/11/2010 09:54

Mr Cool to Skeebo (#16)

Well said, Skeebo.

There are lots of texts, including The Prince, and yes, even a bit of Sun Tzu which can be inspirational and enlightening, but the key is to read them, absorb the lesson and then change one’s own behaviour as a result. Quoting them to others as a justification of some arcane point more often than not makes you sound like a prat.

Reply  Quote   

#18 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
19/11/2010 10:32

Bob to Mr Cool (#17)

To come back to Boat's original point, i'd love not to bother with long hours and working hard.

Unfortunately I don't come from a wealthy family but do have a mortgage and a child who's childcare I need to cover and who I'll have to put through university education which will be fully privatised by the time she's 18.

One of the best places to build some wealth for myself and my family from scratch happens to be the City (regardless of whether we're talking about law, IB, consulting, accounting, PE, fund management, etc.). And it just so happens that the City is a savannah where everyone wakes up in the morning running. If you don't keep up you get eaten. But I guess that doesn't matter so much when you've got existing wealth to fall back on.

12 hours of sleep a night? Chuckle...

Reply  Quote   

#19 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
19/11/2010 11:14

Rich to Bob (#18)

Not to miss the point.....I think he means you can mitigate some of the working hard/long hours by being a bit 'people savvy'.....Controversial as it seems, I don't think his post is complete @hite.

Reply  Quote   

#20 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
19/11/2010 14:02

anon to Rich (#19)

Rich,

You are of course right, but its hard not to imagine that Boat will just be one be of those poor guys who no matter how hard he tries to build empathy, will just come across as a middle aged Dad trying to be “down with the kids” as he fakes interest in those great chaps that play for Tottenham Hotspur.

Reply  Quote   

#21 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
19/11/2010 14:15

Mars A Day to anon (#20)

I wanted to contribute, really I did...but was laughing so hard I nearly suffocated.

Reply  Quote   

#22 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
19/11/2010 23:30

Anon to Mars A Day (#21)

Me too. I had to have A&E treatment for cracked ribs!

Reply  Quote   

#23 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
22/11/2010 00:03

Polish Plumber to Anon (#22)

Boat, why don't you send me your CV? We are hiring.

Reply  Quote   

#24 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
22/11/2010 16:22

Boat (no this time it really isme) to Polish Plumber (#23)

Polish Plumber,

Apologies that it has taken time to come back to you. I first had to read the work of Copernicus translated from the Latin in which it was written into the idiomatic polish in which he constructed it in his mind. I now sufficiently understand your psyche that I can submit my CV to you in a format that will having you saying “cholera, muszę wynająć ten facet od razu”.

Here it is:

2006-2010 – BA in Mathematical Art, Oxbridge

Employment Experience – Part-time plumbers mate

Other Interests – Polishing my trumpet

Reply  Quote   

#25 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
22/11/2010 23:23

Polish Plumber to Boat (no this time it really isme) (#24)

I like to polish my trumpet too. It's great that we have the same hobby, kind of like supporting the same football team. Would you like to polish my trumpet sometime?

Reply  Quote   

#26 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
23/11/2010 09:45

Boat (stop using my nickname) to Polish Plumber (#25)

Could we come to an agreement? I’ll polish your trumpet 2-3 times a week and in return I can leave early for my salsa class.

As you are now my mentor, can I ask you, doo you think I am making the wrong decision, taking a job in IB instead of MC. I am having second thoughts.

Reply  Quote   

#27 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
23/11/2010 15:18

anon to Boat (stop using my nickname) (#26)

Haha, great thread! Boat, you seriously are misguided and probably fairly self-aggrandising. As Can't Stop Laughing says, no one uses it anymore. Sure people may read it, but no one would use it as the basis of rolling out an equities swap! Haha! Very funny thread.

Reply  Quote   

#28 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
23/11/2010 15:42

Can hardly stop laughing/Boat (nah...)/?? to Boat (#7)

Boat, I have my coat on but that taxi never arrived? Have you quit yet?

Reply  Quote   

#29 RE: Too much being made of long hours/working hard etc. Doesn't sound right.
06/04/2011 12:18

anon to Can hardly stop laughing/Boat (nah...)/?? (#28)

Sloooow day in the office. Any chance of temptign BOat into givign us an update on his life in IB?

Must be a Veep by now?

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page

ThreadID: 68884

Advertise
Your Jobs!