Thread List
First Page Previous Page Page 122 / 320 Next Page Last Page
Subject#Latest
3 24.05.10
3 24.05.10
3 24.05.10
1 23.05.10
16 23.05.10
4 22.05.10
2 22.05.10
10 21.05.10
2 21.05.10
1 21.05.10
10 21.05.10
4 21.05.10
3 21.05.10
6 20.05.10
5 20.05.10
6 20.05.10
2 20.05.10
6 20.05.10
3 19.05.10
3 19.05.10
5 18.05.10
7 18.05.10
6 18.05.10
14 18.05.10
3 18.05.10
38 18.05.10
10 18.05.10
25 18.05.10
6 17.05.10
26 16.05.10
1 15.05.10
4 15.05.10
4 15.05.10
2 15.05.10
7 14.05.10
16 14.05.10
1 14.05.10
6 14.05.10
7 14.05.10
5 14.05.10
41 14.05.10
2 13.05.10
5 13.05.10
5 12.05.10
16 11.05.10
2 11.05.10
5 11.05.10
3 10.05.10
9 10.05.10
6 10.05.10
First Page Previous Page Page 122 / 320 Next Page Last Page

Negotiating salary ... complex situation

 
#1 Negotiating salary ... complex situation
14/05/2010 05:31

Alfred Nobel

Please bear with me .....

3 Companies involved: A, B & C

- Company's A & & are both in industries I'm interested in, but the roles aren't exactly what I'm after (over time the role will become interesting).

- Company C operates in an industry I'm not only mildly interested in, but don't hate. However, the role is exactly what I'd like to be doing.

Going through a recruiter, I've been able to secure a job offer with company A. Immediately prior to the offer, I was able to secure another offer with company B. The package that company B offered was higher than what was on offer at company A (base & bonus %).

The offer company A made was exactly what I'm on now, however, after a bit of negotiating, they matched the base of company B. I've rejected company B and informally accepted with company A (nothing has been signed).

I'm now in the final stages of interviewing with company C and I'm fairly certain I'll receive an offer. The figures being banded about are much higher than even Company B's offer.

Is there anyway I can get company A to increase their offer without looking like a jerk? Despite their new - higher - offer, they are still well within their salary bracket for this role (offer @ £70k, range between £68k - £78k). If company A could increase the offer, I'd accept in a heartbeat and not look back. As it stands, there's a potential £10k chasm between the offer from company A and C which is causing me to pause.

Apologies for the narrative. Any advice would be welcome.

Reply  Quote   
 
#2 RE: Negotiating salary ... complex situation
14/05/2010 09:11

someguy to Alfred Nobel (#1)

Without knowing any further details I would guess what you're really holding out for is the extra £10k/year and all the other details are irrelevant.

Your first mistake was to inform the recruiter of your base which Company A matched. This set an artificially low starting point for negotiations. NOthing you can do about it now, but since they've already upped their offer it will be incredibly difficult to get them to improve it - especially by 15%.

I would weigh the risks of refusing A's offer and going with C if you are really confident you'll get them to offer you the role. Ask A for a grace period and put pressure on C to complete the interview process. Good luck - and let us know which way you go in the end.

Reply  Quote   
 
#3 RE: Negotiating salary ... complex situation
14/05/2010 10:41

Brenda to someguy (#2)

I was in a similar - but less complex - postition 3 years ago.

The missing piece of information in your post is whether you will happily go to work for Company C should they make you a good offer and Company A decline to match it.

I see no problem in telling Company A that you'd like to work with them and have now discovered, perhaps as you suspected, that your current package (and their projected one) undervalued your worth. If you were to remind them that you have x years experience and y achievements etc which they may not fully have taken into consideration, you will give them something to think about.

In my case 3 years ago, when we had all danced around the situation for a while, one of the companies decided they really did want me and suddenly offered a substantial premium for me to work with them. My guess is that another candidate had pulled out, leaving them with a choice of me or no one. My point is that if you would actually go with Company C, you have nothing to lose by renogotiating with Company A.

Good luck

Reply  Quote   
 
#4 RE: Negotiating salary ... complex situation
15/05/2010 15:50

Alfred Nobel to Brenda (#3)

Thanks for the responses someguy & Brenda, much appreciated.

Very true, I am holding out for an extra £X in salary. The lower bound on that number would be £4K

"Your first mistake was to inform the recruiter of your base which Company A matched."

I agree. However, the offer from Company A was already double my previous salary, I didn't want to appear greedy or risk the offer being withdrawn due to unreasonable salary requests.

"The missing piece of information in your post is whether you will happily go to work for Company C should they make you a good offer and Company A decline to match it."

I think this is the crux of the issue. From what I've seen, I prefer company A as an employer (and industry they're in), however, the role at company C seems more challenging and (I think) offers more scope for advancement and making a name for myself within the org/industry. However, I care very little for making my name in said industry.

I'll use this weekend to have a think.

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page

ThreadID: 63611

Advertise
Your Jobs!