2 25.01.04
1 25.01.04
2 26.01.04
First Page Previous Page Page 20 / 320 Next Page Last Page

Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms

#1 Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
09/10/2003 00:00

soritout

Diversity Monitoring, what's this all about, HR way of meeting their quota of non-white employees within a company (maybe not) the blatant truth is when your're black and seeking a career in consulting, this can go against you, yes you get the interview because you are just another number on the quota but the interviewer is not working in your best interest they are just crossing the T's and dotting the I's. Recentl I was interviewed by Accenture in UK, the poor excuse for why I didn't get the job was down to 2 factors (both of which were not on the job specification). Such a poor excuse for not getting job when the interviewing process is biased as to who should join our company. What's really amazing is the Interviewer who does not give eye contact, anxiously looks at his watch, does not touch base with what's significant on your CV for the role, and makes a point of making you feel like you should be grateful for even getting the interview in the first place. If the 2 factors were not specifically outlined in the CV why on earth are Accenture wasting my time warranting an CV. Simple I was great on paper, right credentials, proven experiences, senior client relationships you name it but in person I was the wrong colour, although this is illegal to mention, it is quite obvious from the Interviewers reaction towards you. Yes your professional but its that scenario you're not going to fit in nicely here. You can tell if you have a job from the first instance of the handshake with a person, a limp one means I "don't even want you breathing my fresh air" and glancing around the office, if their are more black faces as security guards and catering, and no blacks on the desk then forget your not going to join this team. Its sad because of the colour of ones skin you miss opportunities that are otherwise taken for granted if you were white. This draws my conclusion of changing a consulting career in these type of firms where racism still exist now in our current economic climate.

Reply  Quote   

#2 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms

BLACK

I AGREE WITH YOU.....BUT THESE PEOPLE WILL NEVER CHANGE...WHAT DO WE DO.......I NEED THE ANSWER AS WELL.

Reply  Quote   

#3 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms

sortitout

Nothing no one can do, it seems there are lot more issues in educating UK firms to provide opportunities for people who expect to be treated as equals and not receive hand-outs. Diversity Monitoring, Positive Discrimination does not work. Black people don't need chances, they deserve the respect and opportunities like everyone else. 50 years on and still we expected to settle just for lower-paid jobs.

Reply  Quote   

#4 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
10/10/2003 00:00

Iceman

Mate, I'm wondering if other ethnicities/races are treated as fairly as white people. Any feedback on how say Indians, or Asians are treated in the Consulting world.

Reply  Quote   

#5 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
11/10/2003 00:00

Dobby

Hey

it is not just consulting firms that are racist against black people (especially men), it happens in all types of industries. If you really feel that you didn't get the job on the basis of your race then you should ask for feedback (if you haven't done so already) and if you still feel dissatisfied with the response then let them know your suspicions. it probably won't help your case but it might make them think about it when interviewing the next black person.

Reply  Quote   

#6 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
13/10/2003 00:00

black empress

I think black people get treated the worse, I have heard that Bangladeshis have the highest unemployment rates though. I read a lot of undergrad and grad career mags, and most of the ethnic minorities profiled in them are Asians, especially in Investment banking and Management consulting. Specifically Indians and Chinese. As a black woman who hopes to get into management consulting or private banking in the future, I know I'll have to work and network thrice as hard as a whiter person would. Eventually, I'll start up my own business.

You just need to find a way to deal with the twisted people out there without getting twisted yourself. Best of luck to all ethnic minorities out there.

Reply  Quote   

#7 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
15/10/2003 00:00

Omar

Join CGE&Y, they're recruiting. Plenty of ethnic mix here.

Consultant, CGEY

Reply  Quote   

#8 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
15/10/2003 00:00

Omar

Best advice is to ignore it. In fact I never even let it enter my head anymore. If they have rejected me on the basis I am a Pak then I really don't care. I'm still great.

Reply  Quote   

#9 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
20/10/2003 00:00

Bobby

well firstly racism does exist. but we do not want to use it as an excuse. i have seen too many people, use the race card, when they did not get the job. but the point of the matter is, maybe you were not good enough - the race card is a very destructive thing to have. i should know, i am from an ethnic minority. Look ar yourself first. Accenture interviewers are consultants and managers who are very egotistic. they treat everyone like that, no matter the colour of your skin. and yes, it is true that being an ethnic minority you have to work thrice as hard to prove yourself, but people we must accept it as part of the game. their is no gain in fighting it. work three times as hard, and trust me, once you succeed you will be three times as successful.

Bobby

Reply  Quote   

#10 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
21/10/2003 00:00

Disgusted

Im quite apalled by the references that have been made about Accenture's motives for interviewing and thereafter disposing of people from ethnic minorities, just to make a quota. What a load of bull! I myself am from an ethinic minority background and I used to work for Accenture, and in my time there , there was no element of racisim from the very first time that I walked through the door, to the day that I left. In fact in my start group of 40, approximetly 30% of us were from an ethnic minority background. If I'm not mistaken this is a far greater than the percentage of the British ethnic population.

If you ask me, its all sour grapes because you simply weren't up to scratch when it came to becoming a consultant, and thus this was the reason you were turned down. I think its very sad that people choose to blame the colour of their skins for their failings. Having worked in IBanking and Consulting, I can quite honestly say that in an interview, the colour of your skin is the last thing that's on their mind. Quite simply its whether you have skills that the the prosepective firm can utilise.

People - move on.

Reply  Quote   

#11 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
21/10/2003 00:00

bobby

well i partially agree with you there. i have seen things and friends have experienced things which most people would not believe, but it shouldn't be used as an excuse. i find it hard to believe that you think racism does not exist. my point is it should not become an issue either way. think about self improvement and not playing the race card.

Reply  Quote   

#12 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms
14/11/2003 00:00

Interested

There are many reasons why people are turned down for jobs. I have interviewed hundreds of people in my time and am simply interested in the best person for the job as it makes my job easier in the long run. That is not to say that racism doesn't exist, but so does sexism, ageism and all the other isms around. I think what we need to do as individuals is to focus very specifically on why we fell down for the job... was our attitude right at the interview, how could we have improved our chances, what do successful candidates do that we didn't. As a middle-aged, originally working class girl I know how tough it is to break into what seems to a white, male, middle class world.. but it's changing and only we can change it. So forget about the isms and concentrate on what you can do and how you can make the best of each interviewing opportunity. Remember you have 10 seconds to make your first impression - use them to the max! And carry on using every opportunity you get to sell your talents, that's what true professionals are interested in. You have to think what type of culture you would like to work in too, so go for the companies that encourage diversity and remain positive.

Reply  Quote   

#13 Re: Racism or something else?
24/11/2003 00:00

Devil's advocate

[AN INTERVIEW FOR WANTING TO BE A SURROGATE MOTHER]

Interviewer: So, Mr Jackson, what brings you here?

Mr Jackson: I want to be a surrogate mum.

Interviewer: I'm sorry, Mr Jackson, but you just don't meet our criteria.

Mr Jackson: But why? I've got a steady job, stable family life, what's wrong?

Interviewer: As I said before, Mr Jackson...

Mr Jackson: Is it because I'm black?!!!

Reply  Quote   

#14 Re: Racism or something else?

Devil's advocate

Reply  Quote   

#15 Re: Racism or something else?

Devil's advocate

Reply  Quote   

#16 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms

Devil's advocate

Reply  Quote   

#17 Re: Racism still exist in Top Consulting Firms

Devil's Advocate

Reply  Quote   

#18 out of interest...
09/01/2004 02:18

laura

Just wondering what reasons they gave for rejecting you.

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page

ThreadID: 4352

Advertise
Your Jobs!