Thread List
First Page Previous Page Page 167 / 308 Next Page Last Page
Subject#Latest
17 26.02.08
3 26.02.08
4 25.02.08
9 25.02.08
7 25.02.08
3 25.02.08
2 25.02.08
2 23.02.08
5 23.02.08
7 23.02.08
6 22.02.08
11 22.02.08
7 21.02.08
8 21.02.08
2 21.02.08
5 21.02.08
4 21.02.08
12 20.02.08
4 20.02.08
3 20.02.08
2 20.02.08
4 20.02.08
3 20.02.08
23 20.02.08
8 19.02.08
2 19.02.08
6 19.02.08
3 19.02.08
1 19.02.08
11 19.02.08
6 19.02.08
4 19.02.08
5 19.02.08
8 18.02.08
14 18.02.08
1 18.02.08
15 18.02.08
6 18.02.08
1 18.02.08
3 18.02.08
25 18.02.08
3 18.02.08
6 18.02.08
5 18.02.08
4 18.02.08
1 18.02.08
5 18.02.08
4 18.02.08
1 18.02.08
3 17.02.08
First Page Previous Page Page 167 / 308 Next Page Last Page

Negotiating Start Date

 
#1 Negotiating Start Date
17/02/2008 20:24

Traveling Donkey Boy

Hi all,

When i leave my job i want to travel for a few months before starting another. The thing is i cant be assed with looking for a job on my return. I would rather have some security.

If you were an employer and I went for an interview and then asked to start at a date three months from the offer, would you think I was having a laugh?

Reply  Quote   
 
#2 RE: Negotiating Start Date
17/02/2008 21:26

anon to Traveling Donkey Boy (#1)

Actually, I think it is perfectly ok to start 3 months after the offer. The important thing is that u make this point clear from the very beginning. Actually, I have received an offer from Bain last week for Sept 2008.

If they like you, when you start doesn't really matter.

Reply  Quote   
 
#3 RE: Negotiating Start Date
17/02/2008 21:37

Traveling Donkey Boy to anon (#2)

Anon, congrats on the Bain offer. Is that for a grad scheme or as an experienced hire? Seems a way off - how come if you don't mind me asking? I might even try a 4-5 months if it's do-able.

Reply  Quote   
 
#4 RE: Negotiating Start Date
17/02/2008 23:50

Tony to Traveling Donkey Boy (#3)

I had the same problem I finished a contract with a firm went travelling for a few months never applied before going away and now I'm screwed. I've 2 years experience in strategy and it seems the market for Analyst roles has just fallen through (no surprise with the state of the economy granted)

I'm thinking of taking a project manager role in operations at a large teleco it's not ideal but i'm not working and I could be waiting around for a long time waiting for the economic climate to heat up.

Any ideas???

Reply  Quote   
 
#5 RE: Negotiating Start Date
18/02/2008 07:23

Anon to Traveling Donkey Boy (#3)

Traveling Donkey,

my offer is not from Baink UK but from Bain Italy. Is a grad scheme since I will graduate in July. I have sent them a CV, they called me back and right from the first interview I told them that I am available from Sept.

Generally 4-5 months for the biggest firms is do-able. Actually, some classmates of mine have signed with McK for Jan 2009.

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page

ThreadID: 40277

Advertise
Your Jobs!