I would like to share with you a scenario and welcome any thoughts - no stranger to cuthroat feedback.
1. Met a senior manager from top tier firm in July 07 while working in a govt contract. Keen to poach me, had to wait for my end date to avoid conflict of interest.
2. SM arranged partner interview straight up. Partner retiring, firm aquired another boutique firm in business as usual.
3. Partner recommended me to director. Sat director interview. Director refers me to HR.
4. HR interview - all ok, next steps are case study and final partner interview with new partner. Don't call us we'll call you with dates etc.
5. No or little contact since beginning Nov 07. HR chick does not return email or phone calls. But - director had been keen for me to socialise at Christmas, start in Jan with grads yadda yadda.
6. Have maintained some contact, exchanged pleasantries like Xmas, NY etc. 'Just phoning to let you know I am back in office for 08, looking forward to opportunities etc".
7. HR chick emails early Jan 'trying to land on recruitment still, busy times in acquisition of firm etc'.
So I am at a brick wall, like the one discussed in earlier thread. Partner and Director v keen and impressed with skills etc. No probs with comms, rationality, demonstrating structure etc. I have run out of reasons to call and extract information. I need to learn patience yes of course - may take time (sometimes years I hear).
Things I know -
1. I am not priority
2. Have been extrordanarily fortunate to have opp to meet partnerand director in close succession
3. A firm will be busy in M&A
4. A persons word is not gospel
5. HR can be a showstopper