2 20.05.03
2 20.05.03
14 19.05.03
7 19.05.03
1 18.05.03
11 17.05.03
1 17.05.03
First Page Previous Page Page 295 / 308 Next Page Last Page

What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?

#1 What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?
11/06/2003 00:00

Top-Consultant

So the big question this week - does anyone outside Deloitte really understand what is happening to its consulting business? Or indeed the branding of said business?

<br><br>

Those of you who receive the &quot;News from Deloitte Consulting&quot; email bulletin are sure to be none the wiser. This flashed across our desks on Wednesday and caused much confusion. Branded Deloitte Consulting, it encouraged readers to visit the new www.dc.com website... which you will find is now branded Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Consulting.

<br><br>

Clicking on &quot;About Us&quot; to try and learn more, we find &quot;Allow us to introduce ourselves. We're Deloitte Consultants.&quot;

So which is it? Deloitte Consulting? Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Consulting? Deloitte Consultants? And what is the new organisational structure to be?

<br><br>

Top-Consultant understands that Deloitte Consulting and the consultancy operations of Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu are to be integrated during the course of this year, a polar-opposite strategy in effect to that undertaken by the other major accounting firms. When one considers that Deloitte also hired en-masse the UK consulting staff from what was formerly Andersen Business Consulting, that's one mighty UK consulting business that could be created.

<br><br>

To leverage this, DC clearly have a job of work to do in communicating their branding once the dust has settled though. Remember the mockery surrounding PwC Consulting's rebranding to Monday? Surely not an episode that anyone at DC will want to emulate...

<br><br>

Do you have some insights re. unfolding events at Deloitte? Then please respond...

Reply  Quote   

#2 no more Braxton?
12/06/2003 00:00

Ben L

I think the brand name change to Braxton got put on hold when the spin-off failed to materialise, but haven't heard anything since!

Reply  Quote   

#3 Re: What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?

Ed Osterwald

It started as &quot;Management Solutions&quot;, which then became &quot;Business Consulting&quot;. That was because &quot;Deloitte Consulting&quot; was to become the now infamous &quot;Braxton&quot;. But now we see &quot;Deloitte Consulting&quot; (or &quot;Braxton&quot;) reverting into &quot;Management Solutions&quot;, which isn't, because it has taken the brand of Andersen's &quot;Business Consulting&quot;.

I wonder if these guys offer clients advice on brand image and clear communication?

Reply  Quote   

#4 Re: no more Braxton?

Chris

Deloitte spent a considerable amount of money and PR advertising their new brand, Braxton, last year in accordance w/ the spin-off plans. I am a first-year in b-school, and saw first-hand in corporate presentations, interviews, etc. the direction they _thought_ they were moving to. It was 'Braxton' everywhere, with the consultants wearing little pins with the new logo and a schmoozy PR video about the name change. However, these recent announcements are the COMPLETE opposite of their heavily advertised spin-off strategy.

I guess the real question is: do you think this inability to actually move forward with their announced strategic direction and the current appearances that they as a company don't know what they are doing will affect their consulting practise?

I think so. In my opinion, Deloitte's consulting days, whatever the name, are numbered, because their credibility as consultants (particularly in the area of change management, which is apparently one of their specialities) is completely shot. It's a bit embarrassing.

Reply  Quote   

#5 Deloitte's 'change management' expertise

Chris

See my other posting for additional details.

Reply  Quote   

#6 Deloitte's _change management_ expertise

Chris

See my other posting for additional details.

Reply  Quote   

#7 Re: What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?

Graham Clark

An dwhen is DC going to step up to teh issue of separation of audit and consulting practices. I am not sure that simply changing your name to Consulting or Deloitte Touche Tomatsu etc really gets it. Unless they think that GE Lighting and GE Capital are independent businesses who dont share information. Somehow I dont think they got teh hint from PWC, Arthur Andersen and EY .. earth to Deloitte !

Reply  Quote   

#8 Re: What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?

Jo

I work for Deloitte and I haven't got a clue what's happening ... God know's what the clients think!

Reply  Quote   

#9 Re: no more Braxton?

Alex

Oh dear Chris. You're somewhat naive but you will learn. Don't leave b-school yet. Do you expect businesses to have the same strategy now as before the dot com boom or from 10 years ago? The fact that they have managed such an about face and still haven't lost any major clients seems to me a particulalry effective bit of change mgt. If you wanna make some predicitions, compare the demise of the giant that was Andersen and their audit clashes, with predictions for Deloitte Audit and Deloitte Consulting...

Reply  Quote   

#10 Re: What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?

Luis

The big issue is Deloitte Consulting eternal lack of strategic vision. Since the beginning DC has always missed a clear vision about what should be its goals, its positioning and the strategy to materialize them. DC has been always a stuck in the middle between the strategy boutiques and the system integrators, completely lost about where to go and how to do it. That explains a lot about the huge heterogenity among DC's offices around the world. In some (few) countries they are even respected as a high quality top management consulting firm while in (many)others they are understood just as a local ERP integrator. It also explains the messy events about the failed MBO since the Partners chose a separation model and a business model that they couldn't afford. They were enthusiastic but there was no sustainable funding plan to buy the firm from DTT neither to develop a significant outsourcing business or to build a consistent board level advisory practice. Furthermore, the idea of having all sort of different businesses from corporate strategy to IT outsourcing under the same new brand shows how incompetent these guys are...

Reply  Quote   

#11 Re: What is happening at Deloitte Consulting?
14/06/2003 00:00

DC Senior Consultant

Perhaps I might clear up a couple of matters?

1 - DC reluctantly determined to separate its consulting business into a new entity to be called Braxton after the Enron scandal made a combined consulting and audit practice look rather hard to sustain, particularly in the USA due to the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. This was never the preferred option and DC had been holding out to remain integrated with its audit, tax and related services colleagues.

2 - The integrated firm, like any other, required working capital which was provided in the form of an unsecured loan agreed several years ago. When the firm approached its bankers to divide this loan into the two new entities, the bankers said &quot;fine - but after Andersen self-destructed, we'd like you to secure the loan please&quot;. Given the uncertainty in the market right now, that was not an attractive prospect to partners in either area. So the deal was off.

3 - hindsight is 20/20 but its actually worked out quite well. With the Andersen business consulting staff intending to remain with ATR, there was a potential competitive risk to the newly formed Braxton (just as Accenture and Andersen had found in the past). Instead, all the elements of consulting in Deloitte Touche Tomahtsu are now coming together, fully integrating their business models into a clearly defined matrix of industry and service areas.

4 - although the firm will not be able to offer consulting to clients it audits in the USA and some other countries, it can do so to those audited by competitors. And when such companies are looking for a full service integrated firm, they will not be allowed to turn to their own auditors - in fact, Deloitte will be the only game in town. For example, if you want to implement SAP globally and you want to include some integrated accountancy expertise in your consultancy teams, Deloitte would stand head and shoulders above the rest.

5 - From a personal perspective, I would have to admit our leadership missed some tricks. The contingency plan appears to have been rather ill-defined! We're also developing our new strategy with minimal consultation of staff. However, the results are still promising. Instead of being in a shaky start-up in a challenging economy, we are part of a large, well funded organisation. We have new leadership with a real drive towards discipline, risk management and clear strategies. And, what's more, I'd predict we might even get some decent pay rises this year for our better performers as retention in the face of uncertainty coincides with less concern about remaining solvent.

For an independent view, read what AMR Research had to say last week: http://www.amrresearch.com/Research/Alerts/Pdf/030606alert16221.pdf

In short, don't give up on DC!

Reply  Quote   

Top of Page

ThreadID: 3472

Advertise
Your Jobs!