I am mexican business business consultant, with almost 17 years of professional experience, 12 of them as an entrepreneur, meaning that today I lead my own firm.
Let me share what happened to me, when I wonder to attend a Masters programme: At that moment, 10 years ago, I was very excited to return to school, mainly to get an MBA. However, due to workload and marriage plans, I postponed my decision until early 2003.
I got my title last october. Now, some points to think about:
- In my country, to perform as a consultant it is not IMPERATIVE to earn a postgraduate degree.
- If you expect to develop on the field of management consulting, to get extensive client exposure is highly recommended. However the assets gain at the MBA, raises your image at any context.
- On the oher hand, if you expect to gain a expertise in a specific field, a Msc. could be a wise decision.
Some final tips:
- Are you completelly sure that your future is in the consulting practice?
- What are your colleagues doing? Are they earning posgraduate degrees?
- For your clients, a MSc or a MBA means extra assets?
- Which are your personal reasons?
- Have you shared this with your family? What do they think?
I hope this ideas could be usefull.